View Single Post
Old 05-29-2017, 07:58 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
To the original question, buy low and sell high....and never, ever pay a seller's commission, no matter how great the AH says they are......
Yes. How you buy is as important as how you sell when trying to make $$$. Some things you can do to minimize purchase cost.

1. Avoid auctions houses with offices in your home state where you have to pay sales tax! Plenty of other auctions to choose from without paying this extra fee. If you must have something in an auction that is going to charge you tax, reduce your max bid by the tax amount so you don't overspend.

2. Take any discounts available by paying with cash / checks. I know you want your items ASAP but I personally would rather have the item AND more cash in my pocket. I'll wait if there is a discount.

3. If you have your own insurance, ask the auction house if they can reduce their shipping & handling and use your insurance if your policy covers shipments to you.

4. Opt out of getting a printed catalog if the AH gives you a small discount for doing so. A few do.

5. Last but most definitely not least ... stick to your price and don't over spend! Most (but not all) items you are after will show up again in the next year or so and may go for even less.

jeff