View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I have some photos of the Sandberg bat and will have to dig them up.

I had the bat for a number of years and ran into a situation where I needed a few bucks and sold it to Dave Bushing for what I thought was a nice little sum. I Really wish I had that bat back

The back story was the Cubs batboys would sell broken gamers after the games back then for anywhere from 5 to 25 bucks depending on the player. Back in the late 70's and early 80's I just started collecting and would take anyone I could afford from the bat boys. Many times I would walk out of the park with 3-4 bats. I still remember the day I got the Sandberg because the batboy said he had a rookie bat of the third baseman, did I want it for 5 bucks. I said why not and got the Sandberg bat for a measly 5 bucks. I happened to see Ryno leave the park that day and could have had him sign it but didnt have a Sharpie on me. Little did I know he would become a hall of famer especially the way he started out.

The extra back story is that the very next year I started working for the Cubs, met many of the players and got bats directly from them and didnt have to pay the bat boy. I had to stop collecting when I was offered a job in the front office and realized that collecting from the players would probably not go over too well. I Spent 7 years directly out of high school working for the Cubs at Wrigley field. I had a boat load of stuff I collected but have sold off a majority of it since then but I still have the memories and some pictures!!