View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 01:23 PM
J0hn Collin$

With my vintage collection, since I was a kid I have always felt there was quality IN quantity - less opportunities to get bored, etc. etc. - but as an adult in the last few years I've learned something that was somewhat surprising to me in retrospect, and that's that I get uncomfortable, nervous and jerky when a card I'm considering or buying is TOO expensive. (Am I really paying $XX.XX for a piece of cardboard?!?!) While I have some cards in my collection that are worth more now, and have in the past spent more on certain cards - for me anymore it seems that number for a single card is around $500. When I spend more than that I find myself losing sleep, conjuring up things to sell to offset the cost, etc. etc. Sometimes it simply isn't worth it. This, incidentally - is why I got out of my brief foray into prewar HOF'ers last year. Incredible cards, but to me for the money that even low grade examples cost - it's simply not sustainable.

As for the question however, while I have in the past no doubt pined over big name cards like a Goudey Ruth or a '52 Mantle - no. I would not trade the bulk of my collection for something like that.

Last edited by jchcollins; 10-07-2020 at 01:28 PM.