View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 07:18 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

I collect 1920's-40's scorecards and have hundreds of these Harry M. Stevens produced scorecards. They were printed on cheap paper and if not stored in ideal conditions over the decades deteriorated into a very brittle state. Some edges almost crumble in your hands. Like one of the members already said, the war and immediately postwar years saw particularly poor paper being made due to rationing.

That said, the description was misleading. As brittle as these things are, it's hard to imagine the handling that went on between the photograph of the interior scorecard section and when it arrived in the mail. Even if it did completely separate and completely fall apart somewhere in the handling process, you should have been notified before it was shipped to you.

I'd like to think the writer/auction house was ignorant of the correct terms used to describe the condition of books and ephemera. If that's not the case they were at fault and you should get your money back. While the hobby is not exactly flooded with millions of Jackie Robinson first hit scorecards, you shouldn't have too hard of a problem locating one in better condition with a more accurate description.