View Single Post
Old 08-29-2018, 11:00 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
And yes, some people pay others to clean their shiny modern cards for them, mostly taking off dust and fingerprints, since those can lead to lower grades on chrome cards.
I still can't wrap my head around this... graders would actual detract for a bit of dust on a card? And collectors would pay for somebody else to remove it? Submitting to a grader carries risk, but that it offset by insurance (through USPS or the submission fee), but sending to a FOURTH party seems to incur even more risk without an offset.

Depending on how it works, the year wait could be beneficial - if somebody submitted an auto-refractor-thingy of Juan Soto (just an example, not even sure there was one last year) last November, they probably got in on a lower tier of the fees. Of course, they missed out on potentially cashing in during the mean time. And anybody who submitted cards of Robbie Cano or some others probably missed out on some decent money by not getting their slabs back quickly.

The whole thing is crazy. I would never ever send my cards away knowing I wouldn't get them back for a year, much less a few months.