View Single Post
Old 08-23-2018, 12:30 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
It is not a question of "if" you're employees are going to steal from you, it is a question of how much you are going to let them get away with. In the first place I think it is quite naive to think that you or a dealer that you know is "theft proof" - that thought alone makes you more susceptible. That your friend has family and friends that he trusts "chilling at his table" is certainly a great help for him. To depend on that alone and think he is impenetrable.....well, I hope he doesn't find out the hard way. I trust a couple of people with everything, I trust most people as much as they earn, I trust my video camera 100% all the time. I have unfortunately been stolen from by people who I never thought would steal from me. Theft is usually a function of motive and opportunity - we don't know enough about most people to consider if they have motive. We do have a large degree of control over the opportunity we provide to people looking to make a bad choice - some great opportunity controls have been suggested previously in this thread.
First of all, I'm very sorry that you've had people steal from you. I hope the items weren't too expensive. Now let me explain what I was trying to say earlier: if you have your brother, your neighbor, a couple of buddies at your table, then it's impossible for someone to take a card out of the display case without it being noticed.

Now I want you to compare the above to what other dealers do. You'll have one guy, for example, who is alone, has very expensive cards in his display cases and sometimes has his back facing the people - which one is better?

Last edited by samosa4u; 08-23-2018 at 12:33 PM.