View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Default O/T - best all time

Posted By: D. Bergin

1 - Best Baseball player of all time - Willie Mays though I prefer to rank by eras in baseball. It might be blasphemy but if it weren't for the 'roids his nephew Barry might make this list.

2 - Best Running Back of all time - Barry Sanders. Apologies to Jim Brown, Walter Payton and Ladanian Tomlinson which I'd have no argument with. I also don't think Yards per carry is the ultimate gauge of a running back either. That is often a product of the Offensive line. Just look at a guy like Walter Payton.........he was a very consistent runner, yet his YPC varied widely throughout his career. That is largely attributable to the quality of the O-line during each particular year.

3 - Best Athlete of all time - Absolute prime years I'd say Bo Jackson. Longest Runs and longest HR's in two differant sports. Spectacular for a brief period of time. Over the course of a longer career I'll go out on a limb and say Carl Lewis.

4 - Most loved great athletes - Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan

5 - Best Hockey Player - Gretzky. I didn't see Orr play so I can't argue but anybody who thinks Gretzky just waited by the blue line in the offensive end never saw him play. He often played on the Penalty killing team and had more end to end jaunts then anybody can count. Product of his team-mates? He continued to pile up ridiculous stats out of his prime when he left the Oilers and joined the then bottom dwelling Kings, turning them around.

6 - Best Boxer - Sugar Ray Robinson