View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Jason S!m@nds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
I was admittedly pretty young when the Vietnam War was going on, but I don't remember there ever being a threat of the US being invaded from the North Vietnamese. Or the North Koreans during the Korean War for that matter. It was of some concern during WWII, but that's the only war I can think of since the War of 1812 where being invaded by a foreign nation was an issue. Historically, we have generally gone to war to protect other interests, most often economic ones.

Oh, just in case you forgot, we lost the Vietnam War. We pulled out and left South Vietnam to a fate we either could not or chose not to prevent. My step dad was an Air Force officer who spent several years over there in the early days of our involvement. To this day, he still doesn't understand what we were doing because he damn sure doesn't think we were trying very hard to win the war. But even though we lost, we still speak American English, play organized sports, have access to the internet, and even have the ability to post dumbass remarks on this forum from time to time.
Communism.

Some people thought that preventing communism was worth dying for, others didn't.