View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 09:45 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Great cards everyone.

Regarding 1888 (Fa & Fb) and 1889 (Fc) Western Association cards, I have another data point from a fellow Iowan who collects Iowa OJs (among other items). In studying pictures of his display case, it appears he has better than 20 Des Moines cards with only a single example, Kennedy, being an Fb, all others being issued in 1889 (Fc). He then also has a nice run of Sioux City which were only issued in 1889 (Fc). The Des Moines collection matches John's experience with Milwaukee (i.e. a dedicated effort to collect their respective Western Association teams which exists as primarily as Fb and Fc resulted in a nearly 100% Fc collection due to Fb rarity).

When I went after the Fb Western Association run (a single example from each team), it was relatively easy to obtain St. Louis Whites, Chicago Maroons, Kansas City Blues, and Des Moines Prohibitionists. The remainder, however, (Omaha Omahogs, Milwaukee Brewers, and St. Paul Apostles) were difficult. I leave out Minneapolis Millers since that team is almost exclusively Fa and not too difficult to obtain a single copy. On a side note, even the easier teams I listed have extremely difficult players/poses.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers