View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 12:45 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck9788 View Post
Am I completely alone on this?

I've collected vintage cards for years and always crack open any graded cards (then placing in a sleeved top loader) if ever purchased.

My reasons :

1) I don't like the large size and thickness of the slabs. It makes them difficult to store.

2) I don't like that the cards can not be touched if so desired.

3) I don't like the grading wording system. Example; owning a "poor" or "fair" Mickey Mantle.

4) I don't like the judging system. I often find that lower graded cards visually look better than higher graded cards.

5) Most importantly. I find that graded cards take away from the youthful enjoyment of the cards. It makes the cards into a business commodity instead of a family heirloom which is what they should be.

I'm curious on any members thoughts on my view? Thank you.
You forgot to add the insane price increase that the magic plastic holder creates. I would much rather buy several more cards than pay for 1 magic plastic slab.

To be fair i have a few graded cards.

I have 2 Beckett graded cards that came from their testing period before any card was graded for the public.

I have a few cards that they screwed up on the label. I collect error cards so figured I would add a few error slabs. These are from all the major companies, no bias here.

I have a counterfeit card in a PSA slab. Have owned a few of these.

I have a complete 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set in SGC slabs. I bought this set raw from a fellow member and they turned out to be way nicer than I thought I was purchasing. I like to touch my cards on a regular basis so i got them graded to protect them from myself. Every card in the set is graded NrMint or better except the few with wax stains.

I also have a few cards I picked up in slabs and left them in the slabs. They are high end condition or top tier HOFers. Most cards I buy in slabs get cracked out though.