View Single Post
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbetsy View Post
When I first saw this about 15 to 20 years back, I thought it might be legitimate, then I started researching drug stores named Devine / Devine's. I found one drug store in South Dakota from Joe's outlaw ball days, but that town did not have a Crosley Field. Of course, I thought of the Cincinnati field right off the bat, but never found a Divine's drug store in Cincinnati (I am fairly certainly, MLB and Landis would not have allowed Jackson to play at Crosley in Cincinnati, so I pretty much ruled that out from the get go). Never found another town in the United States with a Divine's drug store, much less one with a Crosley field.....that is when I came to the conclusion, someone was having fun with me, never thought to check the fonts (I too, am putting that little tidbit in my toolbox). In my 33 years of researching Joe, I've had more people come to me with "stuff" they thought was Joe, or belonged to Joe or was used by Joe and they wanted CRAZY money all because of his name. I had a guy try to sell me a mink coat that he said belong to Joe's wife, without any provenance.....just his word that he acquire it from her before she died and he wanted over 100K for it........NUTS!!! They see Shoeless and it turns into $hoele$$ in their minds!!!
On the broadside, the term "vendored" in the "food will be vendored" sentence bothered me when I first read it before doing any research. Prior to this, I had never seen that term used in a 1920's or 30's broadside or any other advertisement for a game with Joe Jackson. Reminds me when Pete Nash go hot and heavy on the Barry Halper Joe Jackson White Sox uniform at the Hall. The obviously undoing in that jersey is that it was made by Spalding and Wilson was the supplier of the Sox uniforms in Joe's day. The only thing was the Sox was sewn on with thread that was not developed until the 1940's. Hey Fakers.....if you're going to go to the trouble to try to fake us out, at least use period material :-)

Mike Nola
Official Historian
Shoeless Joe Jackson Virtual Hall of Fame
http://www.blackbetsy.com
Well, you do have this sign listed on your website with no mention that it is a fantasy piece. It's pretty much the only link that shows up in a search of this item besides the few times it's been auctioned off....If I were a prospective bidder and saw it listed on your site I might be inclined to bid on it.

http://www.blackbetsy.com/photosOutlawBallDays.html

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 09-18-2014 at 06:46 AM.