View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Default REA - Pittsburgh Federal League Jersey

Posted By: barrysloate

I applaud Rob for handling this jersey the right way, and I agree that if after full disclosure anyone is uncomfortable bidding he is free not to do so.

But I still feel that an authenticator really should get out of the business of buying and selling (or as Bushing did, get out of the business of authenticating). I don't think it is right to buy a jersey, authenticate it, and consign it to a major auction house. There are many situations where the authenticity of an item is not a slam dunk, and where there may be some mitigating factors for and against it being genuine. In a situation like that it might get a free pass, because of the financial incentive to do so.

In a perfect world an authenticator would resign from buying and selling the items he examines. I would be fine if a uniform and bat authenticator bought and sold baseball cards that were authenticated by a company with whom he is not associated. Disclosure is great, and Rob is always meticulous in that department, but this is still not an ideal situation.