View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 10:01 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

I see Mantle growing less and less exciting to the next generation of collectors.

I won't confuse my experience with scientific rigor, but most of the guys I know in their 20s and 30s put Mantle a lot farther down on their want lists than Aaron, Clemente, and Jackie Robinson. Mantle is viewed as overpriced and it is thought that the main reason his cards are so expensive is that "his cards are the most valuable."

There is obvious circularity to the reasoning that is consistent with a bubble prone to bursting...kind of an Emperor's New Clothes moment.

Obviously Mantle is a legendary and iconic player and his 18 WS HR is a record that may never be approached. Still, if we look at several of the reasons for his meteoric rise in the Hobby many are generational.

I would be zero surprised if Mantle prices 20 years from now are lower than they are today. I'd put my money on Jackie whose legacy will always remain critical, relevant, and larger than baseball.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/