View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 12:21 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Three friends over years doesn't seem like a large enough sampling for me to adopt a negative opinion of the man. By "incredibly rude," what is meant, exactly?

Perhaps the OP had a different experience altogether with the man, and so his opinion is as valid as another's.
Just look at the thread, " Best & Worst Experience Meeting an Athlete." Any player making that list more than 2 or 3 times, either best or worst, likely deserves to be placed in that category. The reviews are not good.

Check reviews of a random movie. Find a 1 star movie, watch it and let me know what you think of it. Some may like it. Most will not. Meeting Hank Aaron, for me, was a 1 star experience and a HUGE let down. I am still sad almost 20 years later that someone I Idolized as a child was so unfriendly to everyone. Many collectors have had a similar 1 star experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't care what people have to say about meeting him at a card show. The amount of hate he endured in his lifetime pales in comparison to the one minute or two minutes you had to stand in front of him while he didn't look at you or something
How much "hate he endured" may explain his poor behavior, but it is not an excuse for it IMO. Lot's of athletes experience racism and hatred. Most of them are very friendly and love spending time with the fans. If not, they should at least figure out a way to put on a fake smile for a couple of hours while they are earning thousands of dollars greeting and signing for the people who make it possible for them to earn a living.

Almost 30 years on and off in this hobby and there are a few common themes I hear over and over, again and again and again. Brooks Robinson is AWESOME! Tom Seaver, Willie Mays, and Hank Aaron are not nice in that order. I am sure a few people have had a different experience meeting these players, but many that have met these 3 players say they are miserable. Where there there is smoke, there is fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Never a more humble Superstar has lived.

You want to talk about everyday heroes, he is one. The way he lives his life and how he treats others.

Bless You MR. 'Bad Henry'.
I am going to bow out of this thread now. The only reason I replied was the OP stated or implied Hank Aaron is humble, treats others well, and respectful. You folks are not going to convince those of us who have been treated poorly by Hank Aaron and observed him treating others poorly any more than we are going to convince you that he shouldn't be nominated for sainthood.

Last edited by slipk1068; 02-06-2018 at 01:47 PM. Reason: sentence structure, typo. etc.