View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default Is it possible to flatten out Old Judge cards?

Posted By: warshawlaw

Warning: this is not for the faint of heart. I have some old 1/4" plexi holders with male-female fasteners (they were sold around 15 years ago for expensive cards). The male-female fasteners allow you to leave the slab top in place with very little force behind it and about 3/16" free space between the two pieces of the slab. I put the card into one of these with the screws just holding it so that the weight of the plexiglas was all the force on the card. Once every few weeks I tightened it about 1/4 turn just to the point of resistance. After about 3-4 months the card was flat enough to send to grading. It did not flatten it all the way, just enough. This was my 1st OJ card; I was so naive that I had no idea I could damage the card that way. Fortunately, nothing was damaged. I still have the card and it shows no ill effects. It is one of my favorite cards; ironic since I don't care for OJs.

I've since done the same with a pretty badly curled steroeview but that isn't working as fast since it is much larger item. I'd estimate a year or more for that one to flatten enough to display.