View Single Post
Old 02-28-2018, 07:05 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
That's because a few bad apples ruined it for you. I bet every single Ebay seller has been burned Internationally at least once.
Yeah but I bet every single Ebay seller has also been burned by an American buyer at least once too (more likely multiple times by the amount of complaining I see on here).

This "no international shipping" thing is unique to baseball card dealers. I have a few other collections (stamps, coins, retro video games) and its rare to find American dealers in those items who don't ship internationally. Presumably they've all been burned as well but they don't over-react the way baseball card guys do. Its not unusual for a stamp dealer to have a "No shipping to Latvia" or something in their listings and you can easily deduce that they had a bad experience with a Latvian but took a more measured response than just "domestic sales only".

Those hobbies are a bit more international than baseball cards so those sellers probably have to rely on international sales more than baseball card guys do, but still it strikes me as self defeating. The few guys who are willing to ship to me get all my bids and get more money as a result. I've clicked on lots of cards that I intended to buy only to see that "does not ship to Japan" sign and move on. Lost sales for those guys.