View Single Post
Old 12-28-2022, 11:35 AM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Fully agree.

And what you are paying for when you have a card graded is an honest, unbiased, consistent review and grading of your card. The simple fact that most TPGs charge contingent fees for the grading of cards based on their value, is in and of itself a totally inappropriate, biased, conflict-of-interest that should not exist in the service of rendering opinions on the condition of cards. I readily admit that having been a CPA for decades, I am biased as to what a company that is supposed to be rendering honest, consistent, services and opinions as to the shape or condition of something they were hired to put forth their opinion on. Based on what I am used to seeing and dealing with as a CPA, the entire TPG industry is a blatant joke when it comes to even trying to look like they are doing what they should be doing.
The fees charged for potential value based on the grade has always perplexed me.

If those fees are charged then the TPG makes more money on a higher graded card - WHY?

The only reason I could see for an increased fee is to pay for shipping insurance when the card is returned to the submitter.

If the TPG claims the fee schedule is based on value is to protect themselves from having to "reimburse a collector because and encapsulated card was a fake or incorrectly graded" then they need to look at their graders and either get rid of the graders that have no clue what they're doing or offer training to bring greater consistency to the grading process. Also, isn't one of the reasons to send cards in for grading to ensure the card is not a fake/reprint or allow their "expertise" in grading to determine if a card is altered?

Sorry - continue on with the thread being about Goldin and PSA.