View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
Your right there arent many sets as big as the T206 group.... T206 set is really a bunch of sets issued over multiple years collected as a group (individual brands and 150, 350, 460 sub etc). Thats the only reason its so big.

T210 group is bigger than T206 group, for one, and if you just considered 1 year of T206 (ie 150 subjects, 1909), then you have many sets that equal it in size or are bigger.

T209-2 (B&W) is a big set too.

Its actually funny that T206 could ever be thought of as in the same league with a set like E107. Every single card in E107 is 5X+ rarer than the T206 Wagner (not rare), including the E107 Honus Wagner... his rookie, along with other rookies like Mathewson, Plank, Bender, Waddell, Joss, Lajoie, etc. etc. etc.

PS. How many E107 sets are out there?? Ive heard of a couple that are/were close... but dont follow it closely.
Ive only owned 2 individual E107 cards in my life...
Unless I am mistaken, the answer is still zero. I am told that one person is one card away (perhaps a team variation). A couple others are close too... something like 6 away and a dozen or so away. I may be off on those numbers. Scott B. would probably be able to give the correct numbers of how many remain in the "most complete near-sets".

To comment on the scarcity of the E107 Wagner vs. the T206 Wagner, the graded pop of E107 Wagners was 4 at last check (SGC+PSA+GAI). Granted, there are some raw ones out there in a couple of the near sets, but I'd be really surprised if the total surviving exceeded 10. That's probably a pretty conservative number and is higher than what I think is actually out there. Estimates for the population T206 are commonly in the 60 range, but I've also heard numbers higher than that (even on the order of 1.5 times that). I don't have access to PSA pops, so I can't give an apples to apples graded pop comparison, but the scarcity difference is pretty stark.