View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 06:42 PM

Default Ty Cobb T206 Red Portrait back variations

Ty Cobb T206 Red Portrait back variations

I found 2 more Red T206 Cobb variations as well as a correction or an addition to those listed.

I would include "Ty Cobb King of the Smoking World" back, although it was only found in Pipe Tobacco tins with Cobb's Name.

Also missing are the Blank backs. Although there is no tobacco brand on them, they exist and are recognized as such by the grading companies. They were almost certainly issued by tobacco companies and found in Cigarette packs.*

Finally I have and have seen many Sovereign 350 backs. I have not come across a Sovereign 460 as is listed on the site. Thus it may be a typo or an added variation.

*RE blank Red Cobb T206 as a tobacco back:

I am an avid collector of baseball/tobacco products. One of my favorite sets is the c46 1912 card set. Some refuse to recognize this as a tobacco set because there is no product name on the 90 cards.

As a Canadian I have done extensive research on this set and can assure everyone that the set was issued by Imperial Tobacco. It did come in Derby Cigarettes as well as other brands. This was the only baseball tobacco set that was ever issued in Canada.

I bring it up not only because there is no tobacco indication on the cards but also because PSA does not include it in baseball listings. They list it as a minor league set; yet 70% of those players played in what we now call the Majors.