View Single Post
Old 12-27-2014, 08:47 AM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
That brings me to a crossover question on cut autos made into cards. Again, coming from the card manufacturers, these signed autos would give a collector a (false?) sense of security about an auto. I would not expect a high rate of innacuracy (definitely not as much, nor as systemic as the relics element) but, where there is smoke, there is bound to be fire. Any thoughts, history, experiences on this area?
I can only speak for Topps "on-card" autographs, they require that a representative from Topps be there to witness the signatures. A friend of mine was involved with Topps in this regard and while visiting him during spring training one season I was thrilled to be able to do this for a couple of A's players. In my case they signed 1000 cards each, were allowed to keep 7 for themselves and all the pens (both players used about 5 of them) had to be collected as well.

Maybe someone else can confirm but I have heard that Kevin Keating sold or sells a lot to the card manufacturers for this purpose, maybe that's why his prices are so high.