View Single Post
Old 09-27-2002, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Default Derek Grady's /SGC response to Dell Football

Posted By: runscott

SGC is definitely my grading company of choice - I have never mailed any cards to any other company. That's part of why I get a bit more spirited when I disagree with something they're doing - I have absolutely no doubt that they are the best. I didn't say a word about PSA encapsulating a fake Fro-joy, because PSA doesn't get my business and I no longer care what they do. People have to realize that we are used to getting no response whatsoever from businesses we deal with - I go into my rants with that assumption, and in this case it was unjustified, so I apologize for jumping on them so hard.

This was the first grading of questionable material by SGC that I've seen, and as soon as the pro-SGC board members made it clear we thought it was a mistake, SGC agreed and said they'd stop grading them - that is exactly what customers love.

My understanding is that they graded the Dell stuff because SCD listed it as a set. It isn't, but that's SCDs mistake, not SGC's. It seemed like a blatantly wrong thing to do, TO ME, because I own the guide that the pictures were cut out of and to me it is obviously a folded up poster insert. To someone who sees only the cut out images, I can see how they would think they look sort of like cards, especially when the "set" has SCDs approval, despite the fact that they are on paper stock and have unrelated partial images on the back.

Now I'm going to get jumped for complaining about SCD, but I'm not doing that either - I open the 2002 SCD Guide more than any other book I own, and it's invaluable. I really can't imagine a better guide than SCD, except that I would prefer to see it split into two guides, separating out vintage (which I do manually).