View Single Post
Old 05-05-2022, 04:11 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse9 View Post
I really like that idea. I don't have much more horizontal space left, so going to the wall makes sense.

I don't see many of those available on the bay right now. I'd be a bit worried about authenticity if they're not graded, but graded ones won't work well on the wall unless I crack them (which I'm willing to do for low grade). I'll post over at BST and see what's out there.

Maybe a supplement or cabinet card or two could do the trick. Other ideas?
I've never really seen someone fake these M101-2s, unless they are stupid enough to just make a copy of them on a copy machine. If you see one in person it is pretty easy to tell if it is real, and old. Most of the ones out there are going to be raw, as they really don't get faked, and they are large, so a lot of people don't really like getting such large things in slabs. Plus, PSA apparently hasn't always graded them, and only started grading them maybe a couple years or so ago.

They are on thin paper, and therefore fragile, but for presentation purposes you want to try to make sure you get one without any folds or creases, and hopefully no tears or rips on any of the edges. There are a ton of great poses.

There are always some on Ebay, but a majority of them are way overpriced. You should get some hits from your BST post, but if no one on here has something right now, look for common player M101-2 supplements on Ebay at $100 and less. There were some recent posts and talk on the forum about some of the very first PSA graded M101-2s going for ridiculous prices in an auction last year. They were of several of the superstars from the set, including Joe Jackson, and were only getting grades of like 1 or 1.5, which is ridiculous for the prices they got. That is why you'll see a BVG graded 7.5 Ty Cobb M101-2 sitting on Ebay for $75K. Someone actually paid around $8K for a PSA 1 Cobb M101-2 in that auction I mentioned. Based on that you would think the BVG 7.5 would be reasonably priced, if not even a possible bargain. But no serious collector in their right mind will pay that much for one. There are so many much better condition ungraded M101-2s out there than those PSA ones that were auctioned, in collector's hands, that it isn't funny. So don't overpay. Just look for an image you like. Good luck.