View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Marty

Default 1955 Dodgers Schaefer Beer Question

Thought I would tap the collective wealth of knowledge on this board and ask about one of my favorite display items. The 1955 World Champion Dodgers advertising piece is pretty popular among Brooklyn collectors, but I have often wondered about how it was issued. I initially thought these were probably sent to bars (or maybe beer distributors) in the vicinity of Brooklyn, but if that were the case, it seems very few would have survived, and those that did would have been pretty yellow from smoke stains, one would think. And it seems that an item this elaborate/unique (and probably tough to manufacture and assemble) would not have been created for such a limited distribution. Any chance that maybe this was some sort of redemption or premium item that could be sent away for? Adding to the mystery a bit - when I got mine many years ago, I was surprised to find that I also got a sheet that I believe came with it originally that shows who each player is on the display - if this were to be displayed in a bar, what would you do with the sheet? Again it seems to perhaps be something that was targeted more towards fans than as a point of sale advertising display. Anyone have any good info on this. (Or simply want to speculate with me?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bds.jpg (74.0 KB, 698 views)