View Single Post
Old 01-30-2002, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default Just spoke with Derek Grady-SGC

Posted By: leon

Hey folks,
Just had a very pleasant 20 minute phone call with Derek Grady (Sr. Vp. Grader) of SGC. He said that he feels the Jurgenson is off 1/2 to 1 grade. He is going to call the seller (a bulk customer) and offer him some mitigation for the card. He feels it should be an 88 or 92 depending on some other factors....but most likely an 88 or 8......He said they use very precise instruments for measuring and this card is actually not as bad as it looks if you measure it. While I thought it looked 90-10 t-b, to my untrained eye, he said it was more likely about 67-33....still not up to a 96 by any means, he readily admits. He also asked for folks to let them know about problems like this and they will try to make them right. He seemed extremely concerned and interested about their reputation. NOW FOR THE BIG QUESTION. He said that if I could make a business case for "authentication" services without a grade that they would consider it (not for sure do it but at least consider it)....He seemed more apt to do it this time than when I mentioned it a few times before...so here is the question. Are there folks that would send in more cards if they were only to get an "authentic" only instead of a grade? Obviously if the answer is "yes", quite a few, then that would weigh in favor of the new process. I suggested that they might just make the new grading for pre-80 cards so it would not allow folks to send in the new shiny refractor crap.....although revenue is revenue so maybe anything should be able to be authenticated only? thoughts?.....and as always .....best regards