View Single Post
Old 06-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Default Why Won't More Vintage Card Auctions Include A BIN?

Posted By: T206Collector

<<BIN is just right - someone takes the BIN, but it would have gone around the smae price anywa. The seller does not benefit.>>

Just right, in my mind, means that you get the high bidder to maximize his cost -- this could be hundreds of dollars more than the next highest bid. Indeed, I have won auctions on ebay where my sniper bid was hundreds higher than what I won it for. If it was a BIN at what my cost threshold would have been, I'd have bought it as soon as I saw it. By not using the BIN, I saved hundreds of dollas, but the seller lost out on hundreds of my dollars. We are not just talking about "shades higher than expected fair market value," we are talking about targeting that buyer out there that is willing to forego the ebay roulette wheel for a shot at a set price, even if that price is above market value. I have made several sales of this nature and they have, in my opinion, been much higher than market value.

<<BIN is too low - it gets snapped up very quickly. The seller loses.>>

Why would a seller set a BIN "too low"? He is setting it at what, for him, is higher than expectation. He should always feel good about a sale under these circumstances. A seller who does not know the market very well before the sale, is not going to somehow become educated about it after the sale. Perhaps later down the road he'll have regrets, but then he never should have sold it in the first place without knowing the market.

<<BIN is too high - no one takes the BIN, and the card sells for the highest bidder in the auction. The BIN was useless.>>

I do, however, agree with this.