View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
One of my favorite photos. Here's the Babe signing autographs for soldiers while he was in the National Guard. Each bat has the name of the army base where they're headed. Really neat photo and shows that there were at one time lots of bats signed by Ruth in circulation. Not a medium we typically think of when it comes to pre-war autographs.

And to make it sweeter, the photo was taken on my birthday in 1926.

That's a fascinating picture, Packs. It makes me wonder how many Ruth signed bats there still are, locked away in private collections.

---------------------------------

I think it would be interesting to see how both the Boston Globe and the New York Times mark today's anniversary in their print editions. Maybe some of our members who reside in those parts would be so kind as to scan any articles they find commemorating Ruth's first day in the bigs.

What's the mood like in Boston today? Is seeing a young and fit Babe in a Sox uniform a somber reminder of what they had and gave away? Or, has winning the Series three times since 2004 dulled the pain that came with their 86 year dry spell?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.