View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

Barry put it succinctly. He revolutionized the business of baseball. Baseball is a business and an entertainment medium that brings in huge revenue. I do not resent David Wright or Derek Jeter for getting paid what they do anymore than I resent Brad Pitt or Mick Jagger for the money they make. Fact is that in the "good old days", players were treated like crap, underpaid (relative to the value of their services in producing revenue) and told where they had to work. Free agency and the strength of the players union came about because of the arrogance of the owners. By failing to concede even minor issues like modest increases in pension benefits, owners like O'Malley, Autry and Finley helped solidify the union. Marvin Miller actually advised the players not to strike at one point and was overruled by the players. He was a strong leader and represented the interests of his clients very well. It does not really concern me whether he is in the Hall of Fame or not. Although he is certainly more deserving than quite a few other baseball "executives" who are enshrined, the aforementioned Mr. O'Malley leading that list.