View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 08:01 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Default Misery Loves Company - Any Stories About Taking a Loss at Auction?

I've been back in the hobby for about three years now, and this week, I watched as a number of my early pick-ups were auctioned off through PWCC. These were some cards I bought mainly as "rookie" mistakes*, and ones I have since upgraded or just thought I could live without. (*Mistakes such as: buying the holder, not the card; buying lower grade than I could afford just to check a box; buying anything post 1912 outside of a PSA holder - yeah, I said it; buying anything from eBay Buy It Now; buying stuff at card shows just to buy something, etc...)

Anyway, needless to say, took a bit of a beating on the final prices. After the commission, probably lost $500-$600 or so when compared to my original purchase prices. I realize there are far worse lots in life than losing money on cardboard, but I wonder if anyone is willing to share similar stories of taking a loss when auctioning cards?

I know that the average experience level of the board members far surpasses mine, but we were all rookies once! Was thinking that any humble stories might make for an interesting thread (and selfishly make me feel better.)

Please note: NOT an invitation for anyone to jump on the soapbox and tell me what I did wrong. (I have a lot to learn, yes, but there are other threads for that.) Just looking for an honest dialogue about past mistakes.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 09-11-2015 at 08:13 AM.