View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Marc

Frank,
I don't think that there is any logical way a person can claim that the Demmitt and O'Hara are variations but the Doc White is not.

I understand the argument that in a true "master set" which is comprised of every possible front/back combination of every card in the set, you could checklist these simply as the Polar Bear backed Demmitt, O'Hara, and White. If you checklist these sets in this way, they will of course contain thousands of cards.

However, the vast majority of collectors checklist the set by the front and/or back design regardless of the ad brand. In this case, any variation in these designs (which are intended to be the same regardless of the brand) will be considered a listed variation. By that standard, Demmitt, O'Hara and White must all be considered true variations.

When somebody says, "I have a complete set of T205's", I don't think anybody would take that to mean that they have every possible front/back combination of every card in the set. What that person means is that he/she has one of every front/back DESIGN in the set. By definition, this would have to include the Doc White, Matty, and any other such variations.

Last edited by marcdelpercio; 09-21-2009 at 10:57 PM.