View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wite3 View Post
The Wilhelm was short printed greatly. This is what causes the value differences. Not the variations. (Same with the Demmit/O'Hara cards in T206s...it is not the variation that causes the value increase it is the print run).
Joshua,
You make some very good points and I certainly respect all of the research you have done on this set. I do have to slightly disagree with your analysis, however, that it is not the variation that causes the value.

To use the T206 Demmitt and O'Hara example, these cards had the same print run as all other Polar Bear 350 only series cards and are presumably equally scarce. If not for the variation (team change), these cards would be looked at as commons, just as the other PB 350 only series cards. Conversely, if it was only the print run that determined the value, all other PB 350 series T206's would command similar values as the Demmitt and O'Hara. Clearly, in this case it is strictly the variation that causes the increased demand and thus, higher value.

I think the same principle applies to some of the T205 variations. While I do not believe the T205 Doc White (no quotes) variation is very scarce or valuable, I do believe that it will command a premium as, by your own tracking numbers, it appears to be about 2-3 times as scarce in total as the other version.