View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 08:25 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
From 1968 through the end of his career in 1974, Kaline's Wins Against Average was 2.0, 1.3, 1.3, 1.5, 1.4, -.7, -1.8. So from 1968 through 1974, Kaline's total Wins Above Average was 5.5, and his average WAA was less than 1 per year. Now, if Kaline ONLY played Right field during this time, his numbers would be much better. But he was hitting average to below average for a 1st basemen and below average for a DH.

He was also a fielding liability during this time with a negative dWAR in ever single year.
He was an average bat in 1973 and 1974. When were 1B's posting 134 OPS+'s as average? Let's not get carried away. He was getting on base and slugging well over average starters. If this is average offensive performance, Clemente has a whole lot of average years in his post-1960 career.

WAR hates his defense. I don't put much stock in that, some do. I don't think it's a very accurate measurement, though it really helps some players I like and usually works for the guy I like more than the guy I don't (though the guy I like here is Roberto more than Al). I don't know when his glove really went, I don't doubt Clemente was probably better on D late career too.

WAA has them essentially equal for their careers too, like most measures.