View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 10:11 AM
Doug Doremus

Default Hey, Zach--

Good to see you back and still interested.

Is money and/or time a big issue?

Some excellent advice from Cozumeleno, above, and from many others.

One thing that the Monster teaches you is patience.
Let them pile up now--
It's a buyer's market now!--

As someone else mentioned, I set up a binder with pocket-pages, planned it out, and watched them fill in over the years.
It's such a pleasure flipping through a binder--you can do it any time you want--the easiest way I know of to review a collection.
By all means, do sub-sets while you continue on the big picture [like a jig-saw puzzle in this analogy]. I started out doing Hall-of-famers and Brooklyn Dodgers before I set up my binder alphabetically.

Meanwhile, let the others pile up. If you're in a rush, I don't have to tell you that you can pick them up right here on BST pretty inexpensively [less than ebay].

I started collecting with hall-of-famers [with my son] back in the '90's. After leaving off for some years, I discovered ebay, then Net 54, and it took me 7-9 years to get to 518. Even before I finished, I discovered that I enjoyed the chase even more than the accomplishment. And now I'm continually upgrading my 518.

And from what I see, they're a decent investment. T206's have continued to gradually appreciate over this past 20 years, even while I/you actively enjoy them.

So my advice: Don't quit.
Enjoy the climb.

Doug