View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 02:23 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
My father, recently retired, has his Doctorate in Electrical Engineering. Back in the Seventies, he went for an extended trip to the Aleutian Islands to work, fine-tuning an Early Warning Radar installation. The company he was working for paid him time and a half while he was there AND continued his regular paychecks back home for the family to live on. I happened to see one of the paystubs. Overtime aside, he was making $40K a year. At the same time Yaz made headlines for signing a $500K contract...for 3 years. I remember thinking, "Gee a baseball player makes a little more than 4 times what a man, doing his best to protect the country against Russian missile attack, makes." About 6 months ago I was helping him get some financial stuff in order and he mentioned that through promotions, raises and switching companies over the years, he peaked at $350K a year. AROD makes WHAT?
Exactly my point. I remember going to Cubs camp and Randy Hundley tried to justify what players make just because they had to keep themselves in shape and they could only work for 10 to 12 years on the average. In my opinion, his arguement didn't quite make it especially when he was in a room full of doctors and attorneys who made nowhere near the salaries that were being discussed. There is not a person on the face of the earth that is what Arod or other players are / were being paid and especially when you look at what they do for our society.