View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 08:04 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Good point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
The only one on your list of 1 of 1's which surprises me is the Larry Costello. Unless he did not like to sign at all, as the coach of the Bucks in the 1970's he was certainly available to average fans.

Rich
Rich,

I consider myself now a bit of a student of this signed set so this is my best go at why the Costello is a 1 of 1. Overall, if you study the pop report for these signed cards, the lower "Regular" cards of these guys were signed in much greater numbers. It has nothing to do with rarity of the actual unsigned cards but more to do with Aesthetics or perceived looks of the Signed low numbers vs the higher numbered "In action" cards. I first learned this from longtime board member "Jerry G" as when he was collecting these way back when, he loved the look of the lower numbers as the autos seem to pop off the different colors. Most if not all of the High Number In Actions have very dark backgrounds which of course does not allow the autograph to display as well.
I'll just use 1 quick example.
The most any low number card is signed is Oscar Robertson of which 46 are signed.
The most any In Action card is Bill Russell high number which has been signed only 16 times.
This ratio almost plays out for the Costello cards as 4 low number Costello's have been signed and of course only 1 High Number In Action signed card has been slabbed.
It seems like a pretty simple explanation but I believe it to be one of the reasons for the disparity. Another reason that I think contributes is that given the choice to get the player's "Regular" low number card signed vs. the high number "In Action" card, I think most went for the "Regular" card which in many instances is also their true RC card!
Just my 2 cents!
Thanks! Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 07-29-2018 at 08:18 PM.