View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 05:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
No i do have an intention of overtaking it but dont want to alert him that he was outbid......works well on low value cards like 10 dollars....i wait till the end to put in my bid and assuming the high bidder doesnt have a snipe, maybe i win the card easier versus alerting the bidder earlier that he was outbid. The 1 dollar can make a difference... If doing my early bids i can see he is already well beyond what i would be willing to bid i dont bother checking out the end of that auction. How many times in other AHs do you bid again when you get an email that you were 'outbid' but if you didnt get that email you dont bid.

When bid increments are $1.00 for example and you can see you are outbid by .02 cents, you know your next bid will be top bidder. Id rather not make that top bid until at the end of the auction instead of alerting the high bidder a few days ahead of time. Since its not a big card, he may not be checking often. I have lost cards by 12 cents before that if i was of bid earlier i would of been a dollar more so it goes both ways.

Obviously this all assumes there are no other bids until end of the auction. The point is there are more things going on than shilling when you see many small bids..
Huh? If I want to win a card, I figure out what I want to pay, put in a snipe, and forget about it. If I really want it and it looks like it's going higher by the end of the auction, I might adjust the snipe. Bidding it up as I go along to try to figure out where the high bidder is? Makes no sense. For one thing, it well could backfire by making the high bidder, and other bidders, realize someone else is hot and heavy for the card and may make them go higher. You're overthinking this.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 03-08-2017 at 05:39 PM.