View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 10:08 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Think clearly now.

Johnny Cash once sang of “A Boy Named Sue”.

It could have easily been “A Boy Name Ruth” instead.

Top that off by giving the poor kid a nickname of “Babe”.

I dare say such a kid might have been bullied and grew to hate his name.

Perhaps Babe Ruth himself once owned the card listed, created the doodle, and crossed out his own name.

Forensic analysis could verify this hypothesis and the value of the card could skyrocket.
I think this is partially correct. Babe almost certainly owned it and crossed his name out, as Frank explains. But I think the card's journey goes deeper.
After crossing his name out, Babe lost it while boozing one night in Manhattan, and the next morning it was found by Franklin Delano Roosevelt. He kept it for a short while, and in a bout of frustration due to the illness that would paralyze him, FDR tried to tear the card in half. His tear was off, but did cause the paper loss on the right side of the card, and the card was swept up in a gust of air, got caught in the jet stream and landed in Madrid.
There, it was found by Salvador Dali, who found it interesting, but somehow incomplete. After much deliberation, Dali knew he could finish off the masterpiece with his own addition: the doodle in the background. Satisfied with how it looked, he set it aside on his desk, where it was seen by his mother. Thinking the card a silly trifle, she promptly threw it away, and it remained hidden and unknown until recently discovered...
Pretty sure that's spot-on.