View Single Post
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Guys who are defenseless are at risk of serious injury, it was correct to stop it. I think Mayweather probably was told not to end it too quickly for commercial reasons. Also, he may have actually been enjoying himself and was content to linger a few extra rounds in his last ring appearance. With the difference in ring experience and intelligence, hand speed, and punching power, this was not a real contest IMO.
Disagree, and have a little bit of amateur boxing experience myself. This was a real fight. I am not saying that I doubted for a minute than Mayweather would prevail, but the idea that he dragged this along for extra rounds for commercial reasons is ridiculous. Macgregor had a very effective jab. Didn't have much of a power punch. But he threw and landed a decent number of punches. And they were not the type of punches of the angles Mayweather is used to seeing. He is a marvelous defensive fighter but this was not what he has spent his career defending against. I think Mayweather was actually quite surprised to get punched in the face more than a few times. I think he realized Macgregor would run out of gas in about the 7th round and he backed off a bit and this is exactly what happened. But he wasn't doing it for commercial reasons. Last fight of his career. Would have knocked him out in the first round if he wanted to go off in a blaze of glory.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-28-2017 at 03:38 PM.