View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Jason Stricker

I recently bought a partial case of 89 Bowman and bought a couple of 87 Topps and 86 Topps wax boxes - some of my favorites from my childhood collecting years - for the purposes of cheap entertainment. It was neat opening packs again, smelling the fresh cards, gum and wax - a very distinct smell that reminded me of spending youthful summers opening baseball cards. I was tempted to even try the old sticks of gum, but didn't feel like adding a trip to the dentist to my things to do, or giving myself stomach cramps from hell.

I ended up pulling at least one (in many cases 6 or more) of all the cards, stars and rookies you'd expect to find from these years. I know they're not worth much, but I've always been the collector and am in this hobby for the entertainment, not the profit.

Sadly, I ended up just donating most of the cards to a local thrift store as I had no use in stacks of commons nobody wants. I tried to get a local shop to buy some, but they laughed and said they had enough packing materials for their shipments.

In the end, it was a couple of days of entertainment for me that made me feel like a kid again and I got some pack fresh cards from it that mean something to me.