View Single Post
Old 11-18-2021, 04:38 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I have the entire 9 inning radio broadcast of that game. But it's Gordon McClendon on the call, not Russ Hodges. Now that would be really something if telecast video footage of that game ever turned up! McClendon was something, but every time I listen to the beginning or pre-game of that broadcast I get the chills with his history of the Giants, "Big Jim" Mutrie and John McGraw...
I work with John Miley and have been for 20 years, selling his audio broadcasts. In fact I'm the guy who got him started with putting his material onto CDs. If your recording is on tape, it's before I got involved with John; if it's on CD, I'm the guy who originally transferred it from cassette to digital, cleaned it, cut it into innings, and put it onto CD. John and I have had kind of a running joke, because back then, I thought Gordon's voice sounded a bit slow in places, like the tape speed wasn't always quite right. But yes, it's a great game. One of the first half dozen we put out on CD.

I love Gordon's talking about Maglie right before the first pitch, and his describing Don Newcombe as "elephantine."