View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
It is not a process that can be replicated....that they know of.

I'm sure this has been discussed previously. I'll look for the article.
I have zero idea on how to fake toning. I know several say it has that old card smell, old card smell is beyond easy to fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
I steer clear of autographs. One lawsuit involving competing renowned experts who studied a signature for months debating whether a signature was authentic (each getting like $800 hr. to testify) was all I needed to see to know that this stuff is 50% opinion and 50% complete horseshit.
Because of this I have sold off all of my authenticated autographs. All it takes is one bad example to get graded as real. Then all similar examples are considered real, this has happened with Ruth autos in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Sadly, I have to agree. I'd love to have an autograph of the Babe, but I just couldn't in good conscience plop down the kind of cash it would command because of the criminal element in the hobby.

The only way I'd ever consider that kind of an investment on a Ruth autograph is if I knew the example had ironclad provenance to start with.
In this area I am a little strange and bought a known forged Babe Ruth that looks almost identical to many known "real" ones. To me it make a very nice display piece.