View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR View Post
I also think the baby boomer New York is in play here with Namath like it is with Mickey Mantle. Should be interesting to see how it is in 10 more years when those baby boomer New York fans are very old or unfortunately have passed on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
I can definitely see the Namath/Mantle comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSPORTSCARDCOLLECTOR View Post
It`s just shows the power of those baby boomers from New York. The same boomers that put Mantle over Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson, Hank Aaron and Roberto Clemente.
Their power is waning though. We will see in 10 years.
tick tock tick tock . lol.
To even bring up Mantle's name when discussing Namath shows me that you know nothing about professional sports. There is a reason why boomers worship him and that's because they watched him go to the World Series twelve times (and win seven of them). He also set many World Series records which still have not been broken today, won the Triple Crown, got over 500 HRs, I could go on and on. Mantle dominated his era, period.

Willie Mays was the better player, yes, but having only one ring will always hurt him. The same goes for Hank Aaron - only one ring. Jackie Robinson doesn't even belong in this debate. He is popular for different reasons.

I think if you wanted to do a comparison, putting Mantle's name next to Tom Brady would make a lot more sense. Brady wasn't the most talented QB of his era, but he knew how to win, and he did it again and again.

And the last thing I want to say is that I've been shopping around for a decent-looking Mantle rookie for months now and I've spoken to so many owners, and guess what? Majority of them are under the age of forty-five. It looks like the boomers have already passed on their 'Mantle love' to the next generation!

Last edited by samosa4u; 12-01-2019 at 10:46 AM.