View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 08:53 AM

Default Finally got one

I started this thread months ago, looking for advice about the card that would be my one big pick-up. (Well, big for me at any rate.) It took a long time and losing a few auctions to settle on a card. This one cost more than the $140 I mentioned when posting the thread, but I managed to scrape together some more cash in the intervening months. It's an N28 John Clarkson. I realize that there are more historically important players out there, but after a while what I realized was that I really wanted a 19th c. hall of famer.

I was a little nervous about buying it raw, but as far as I can tell it looks good. I don't have any other N28s to compare it to, but under 60x magnification the printing looks a lot like a T206 and nothing at all like 1987 Topps. Single-color dots, unevenly shaped. Under a black light the front is barely visible and the back reacts only a tiny amount.

The stuff on the front of the card isn't a scratch, it's a little residue of some kind. I'm not up for soaking this card though, so it's going to stay there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (14).jpg (72.2 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage (16).jpg (76.7 KB, 247 views)