Thread: I Agree!
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I guess. The old trope of he's good in the locker room, I don't know, I'm skeptical but I really don't know.
Yeah, it's always hard to tell, and maybe impossible to put any sort of number to.

All I really have is my own experience. I played on a Co-ed softball team my wifes company had one year. We had one player who thankfully left about halfway through. Good enough infielder, and about as good a hitter as most in slow pitch. Except he was constantly complaining about the women on the team. "She should have caught that throw! We should put someone else at first!" (He overthrew so badly Wilt Chamberlin wouldn't have had any chance at catching it. ) He left for a more competitive league .

Another player was an Olympic athlete. For real, even won gold in a team sport. She was pretty amazing, made anyone around her better - Like I could try a diving catch in the outfield because I knew for sure she was going to be backing me up. And the only time I heard any complaint was after she made a line drive type throw to the plate and said her shoulder hurt but it would be ok in a few minutes. Apparently she had a bad rotator cuff that she never got fixed. The throw was amazing too, only one other person on the team could have made it. The shoulder complaint was only after someone asked her if she was ok because she was rubbing her shoulder.

So which was better in the "locker room?" If I was putting a team together, I know who I'd choose first, even if the raw talent wasn't there.

Last edited by steve B; 08-12-2018 at 01:46 PM. Reason: fixed error