View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 PM

The cuts of memorabilia disgusts the crap out of me. I got in an argument with a dealer a few months back over him trying to sell me a Mickey Mantle jersey card.

I told him I was looking for any Mantle (pre 69) and he offered me some new one with a jersey. I nicely told him I wasn't interested. He insisted I take a look at it and said he would give me a good price. I told him I wasn't interested at all in any cards that tear up pieces of history. He tried to justify it as the only way someone with less money can get near a piece of history like that. I quickly disagreed and said, no, the cheapest way is go to a museum and look at it yourself. He then said well it's the only way someone can own a piece of history. I replied by telling him how disrespectful and selfish it is to want a piece like that by accepting it to be cut up in tiny pieces. No bat or jersey or any other piece of history from Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, Mickey Mantle, Ted Williams, Hank Aaron, or any other player for that matter should ever, under any circumstance be cut up into shreds just to appease a few people. I hate it, and will never condone it, or support it in any way. I refuse to buy any new packs of cards or anything that condones that action. My entire collection has consisted of only vintage buys since these cards came out.

This ball is just another new low reached by these companies in a last ditch effort to stay afloat after they flooded the market with millions of cards. If they just learned to limit their general basic cards, they would again increase value. People would look at the players again, and be excited to have that player's card instead of a piece degraded history.

Off my soapbox.