View Single Post
Old 04-20-2022, 02:09 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
No, this spike has not happened, nor will it IMO. What is much more likely is that graded set collecting, and the importance of the registry, will be much diminished in the future. I think that this is already happening. Even if they get back to sub-$15 grading, which it seems many doubt, a good amount of damage has been done to that realm of collecting in the past year+. I think that PSA has consciously decided that the registry is no longer the thing that drives their business. Based on their actions, it is hard to imagine otherwise. I do also believe that there is a future in which the current card bubble bursts, and that PSA may well regret permanently losing a large chunk of the business they used to get from grading sub-$50 commons.

EDIT: edit to add that I'm not sure what else PSA could have done given the circumstances, so I'm not really blaming them, it is just the reality.
Chad,

I tend to agree that with the influx of investors vs. collectors that the registry is not going to be as dominant as before. That coupled with the prohibitive costs of acquiring star/HOF player's cards, let alone the additional cost and time to get them ygraded now.

I do see a potential for all low-level graded cards to maintain a premium over raw cards, simply because of the time, effort, and cost it takes to get them graded, regardless of the registry, as it makes it easier for their resale.