View Single Post
Old 09-11-2019, 05:36 AM

Default I'll never forget this day...

I Remember….

That morning I was sitting in my new office with a view looking South. Due to a promotion, I'd been relocated here. What a great view, wall to wall panoramic window! I could see the upper floors of the WTC in the distance from my window. The old office, at 90 Church, was directly across the street from the Trade Center. There my view was blocked by the towers, only giving me a view of the Center's plaza. Just four days ago, I met and had dinner at the WTC with a colleague.

I was feeling good, could hardly wait for my day to end. Thanks to my credit card incentive program, I had tickets to see Yankees vs. Chicago at the Stadium that evening.
The sunlight was very bright that morning, I shut my blinds. A co-worker came in and asked me to open them. He heard that the WTC was hit by a plane. I immediately thought terror attack.

We looked and saw a cloud of smoke from one of the towers, we turned on the radio and tried to call our colleagues located at 90 Church street, across from the Towers....couldn't get through. Our staff gathered to watch from my window, and then the second tower got hit. All we could see was smoke as we listened to the radio. We were in shock…some started crying…some began praying. Then the first building collapsed..... we saw a mushroom cloud....we evacuated. I caught a cab, but after a few blocks he refused to continue. The city was locked down. I walked home….everyone was afraid. When I reached home, my answering machine was blinking with messages from friends and loved ones, wanting to know if I was safe. I couldn’t help it… I began to cry.

The game was cancelled, I kept my tickets.