View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Larry

Best show memory, after only attending local shows for several years, was the National in Atlanta in 1992--I'll never forget how very, very VAST it was, and the outstanding array of cards and other sports related items. Fast forward to the 2009 National in Cleveland, when it appeared the National had shrunk to about one third of its former size--when I spoke to Bill Goodwin about it, his response was simply that most of the business was being done on the internet.

Now to last year's National in Chicago--IT WAS JUST AS BIG AND VIBRATING WITH VIRTUALLY THE SAME ENERGY AS THE '92 NATIONAL HAD BEEN! What an uplifting feeling re the future of the hobby!

In a somewhat related vein, just bought another coin book for study, reflecting on one international banker/coin collector's assembling a type coin collection, which was eventually sold in 2007, and the profits he made. As I recall, he purchased a 1793 half cent in mid-grade, very fine condition, Ms. Liberty facing left variation, for something in the $4,000 range, then sold it approximately five years later for over $10K. Obviously, there are a lot of type coin collectors, and thus significant demand, but one would think that this coin would have to be at least fairly rare, right? Well, the two major coin grading services had graded a total of 500 such coins! Big, big demand, relatively scarce supply = substantial value. As we watch prices go up in our own hobby, I think this is the direction we will continue to head in.

All the best,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 02-08-2016 at 04:59 PM.