View Single Post
Old 08-20-2018, 05:17 PM
M@++ Cyganik

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Last year I lucked into a lot of ten 1971 Pirates scored programs. I was the only bidder. Among them was a beautifully scored September 1, 1971 program which featured the first all minority MLB starting line-up. That game pretty much sums up my love for that team and my collection. I would love to find a stub to that game but have yet to encounter one. I find that odd as there were 11,278 in attendance. I can't imagine that even a third of those in attendance both purchased and scored a program. It would seem that the odds of finding such programs are much less than finding a stub.
That's the kind of story I love to hear about program collecting. For every major milestone game from a HOF there is to find, I love researching and finding historic games that are just a small part of the baseball narrative. I picked up a 1968 Indians program a few months ago for $3 that was for Ron Hansen's unassisted triple play game. Is it worth more than $3? Probably not. But it has its place in baseball history and I treasure that.