View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 12:11 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat61 View Post
Corson might be correct about the dates in which he played, and I'm saying that only because of the details he gives in his writings sound too clear to be made up. Just to be sure, I went over some newspapers from the Arizona Republic as far back as 1924 that state that there was an Arizona State League. Of course Corson could have played under another name, but why? I don't think we have all the information on him or the league at this point...but that's what net54 is for!

It appears that there was a much older Arizona Copper League around the same time of the Arizona State League where the Black Sox players, Jimmy O'Connell and Hal Chase played and Beans Reardon played in both. The Copper League had teams in Prescott, Bisbee, Jerome, Pheonix, Oakland and Tombstone. I'm wondering if Corson actually played in this one? The first instance I'm seeing of the Arizona-Texas League is 1931. We'll find out about this and perhaps add another chapter to our Baseball history.

I'm exited, are you?
Oh, I love this kind of stuff. Maybe there was another Arizona State League that was a separate entity from the later league of that name. There's still a lot of research to be done on low minor leagues (and semi-pro leagues) of the 19th and early 20th centuries.