View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 09:40 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
As I said before in the excerpt you quoted, regardless of game 1 or game 7, Koufax would have sat it out because his position was not situational.

If you are asking about Jewish fans, frankly, I find your assumption that Jews would disapprove of the decision to sit out a game 7 rather than game 1 to be insulting. Do you really believe that Jews would place a baseball game over the holiest day on the calendar and resent Koufax for it? I was raised Orthodox and I sat out a ton of stuff as a kid. It is what we grew up with, so it would not put off Jewish fans. As for non-Jewish fans, there will be a few chuckleheads who resent it but anyone of faith or who respects people of faith will acknowledge that some things transcend a ballgame.
I did not insult anyone and I resent your saying that. It was an honest question. I do think principle trumps a baseball game. It's one of the reasons I like Rube Waddell so much - he'd rather leave a ballgame to chase a fire truck, to get to a fire, to save someones' life, which he did on several occasions. Waddell died from an illness he acquired while helping save people from a flood.

I hope you are right, that everyone would have respected Sandy's decision to sit out a Game 7 for his religion. The reason I asked is.............. I wonder.

Last edited by Mark17; 04-22-2019 at 09:42 PM.